The Recommendations



 I have loved these harlequin paintings by Picasso since way back when.  It was fun to see them at the Morozov exhibit at the Foundation Louis Vuitton.  The Morozov brothers were Russian art collectors.  They bought a lot of art from our favorite artists and kept these masterpieces on the walls of their mansion in Russia, but don't worry, they're in museums now.  I highly recommend you click here to see more paintings collected by the Morozov brothers. These guys knew what they were doing.

I finished My Year of Rest and Relaxation today. It's a novel by Otessa Moshfegh.  She has written several novels now and many stories, so I don't know why I'm just now finding out about her.  Somebody dropped the ball and I'm looking at you, Friends Who Read Novels All the Time.  I agree with Dwight Garner's comments:

"Moshfegh writes with so much misanthropic aplomb, however, that she is always a deep pleasure to read. She has a sleepless eye and dispenses observations as if from a toxic eyedropper."[13]

I believe you should read this book if you feel like it.  I haven't enjoyed a novel this much in awhile. 

We took a sunny morning walk yesterday down to the Latin Quarter, where we watched kids kicking soccer balls around Lutece de Arrennes.  In the evening we had a beautiful dinner in the Marais, close to the apartment.  Things are going well here. 


Comments

Janet said…
This sounds like a perfect weekend. I love seeing favorite pieces of art up close - still takes my breath away. Keep up the good work in Paris.
LH said…
I do too. I was just listening to a podcaster talk about how when photography was invented, everyone could have copies of
great artworks or beautiful famous places, but there was no decline in people wanting to see the real things. Maybe even an increase.

Like a ton of others, we really like this place.
KC said…
I read some stories by her once, and some of them were quite dark. The collection was very good, and I enjoyed it.
Mitzi Lewison said…
Wow! The Morozov brothers has some amazing art. Just looked up and saw a whale breech 3 times. That's a kind of art, too.

Popular Posts