The Hearers

Rodin owned this Van Gogh painting.  
https://www.musee-rodin.fr/en/musee/collections/oeuvres/pere-tanguy

Rodin also owned these feet.  He collected old odds and ends. 



While I walked around the 4th today I listened to Ezra Klein's interview with Ruth Ozeki.  Ruth has a new book out that sounds fascinating. Its title is The Book of Form and Emptiness.  In her talk with Ezra, Ruth chatted about writing, Buddhism, Agency of Materials, Marie Kondo, Jane Bennet, Hearing Voices, Hoarding, Desire, Interbeing.  Stuff we love, in other words. I highly recommend that you listen to this podcast if you feel like it. Ruth's book is about a kid who hears the materials around him speaking. 

Speaking of hearing things, I learned about an interesting new syndrome this week called Exploding Head Syndrome.  It's a condition where you hear loud crashing sounds in your head when you're trying to fall asleep.  It can be annoying, but it's basically harmless and you won't need any treatment if you get it.  I would love to talk to someone who has Exploding Head Syndrome.  I myself have developed "hypnic jerks," where a part of my body, usually my hand, jerks up as if it has a life of its own.  It's annoying but infrequent.  Many people experience hypnic jerks. 


 

Comments

Mitzi Lewison said…
OK. A number of things. First, the Ruth Ozeki book sounds great. Second, exploding head syndrome--WTF? Third, I have never seen that Van Gough and love it. Great entry my friend.
KC said…
Thank you so much for telling me about this book and podcast. Ruth Ozeki is the author of one of my favorite books of all time.
KC said…
I have now listened to the podcast, and I truly loved it. I want to be friends with both Ruth and Ezra.
Mitzi Lewison said…
I just listened to the podcast also. Fascinating!
Janet said…
There are times when I can not fall asleep - but at least that has no relationship to 'exploding head syndrome.' I count my blessings.

Popular Posts