The Yule





While Paris has cranked up the festive lights, inside the apartment (aka dorm room) we've dropped the ball on holiday decor. Nevertheless, we did a few holiday type of things in our Paris place, which I'll now describe, using a bulleted list format. 

  • People in France seem to be eating oysters all over the place around this time of year.  We bought a box of oysters which are sold on the sidewalks and in the bistros. On Xmas Eve, Mari Homme shucked them with a butter knife, after watching a one minute oyster shucking video.  He did an expert job.  I wish we had bought an oyster shucking knife, but maybe we'll do that next year.  
  • On a walk along the Seine, I found a plastic dog toy buried in the sand.  This represented my only Xmas gift.  We went off the gift grid this year and come to find out, I really like gifts, so that's a wee downer. I'll compensate for this next year.
  • We did buy and eat a buche de Noel.  These loggy cakes are everywhere you look right now.  We enjoyed eating the buche de Noel very much. I wish all cakes looked like logs. 
  • We also watched some favorite holiday movies. Elf was awesome once again and Home for the Holidays, which I know focuses on Thanksgiving, is still excellent.
  • Sadly, we failed miserably at our jigsaw puzzle, which had 1000 pieces and featured a Van Gogh painting. After a few hours, we gave up.
  • We talked to 30 Something and #1 Son who are not here with us in Paris, but are doing fine.  We all miss each other, but we'll see each other in April in New Orleans, so dry the tears, People. 
Even though we're boostered, we've decided to stay out of crowded spaces for awhile, what with the omicron going wild all over the globe. We've taken long walks--- around the Marais and around the Oberkampf neighborhood and around Place Des Vosges and also in the Belleville neighborhood where we saw some cool street art on Rue Denoyez

Hope you all had fabulous festivities and I hope you received some fun gifts. 

Comments

cb said…
Wonderful street art! A Buche de Noel sounds very festive. Almost too pretty to eat?

Our holiday was low-key but the neighborhood still put out luminarias along the sidewalk on Christmas Eve and the rain paused long enough to let them glow.

I'll bet the plastic dog toy is happy to have a new home.
Janet said…
That sounds pretty lovely despite being out of the ordinary. Please visit the kitchen department at Galeries Lafayette. I have purchased a couple of very good oyster shuckers there. It is a wonderful place. I especially like the kitchen, stationery, and toy departments. We watch 'Love Actually' every year. As for the puzzle, I encourage you to return to it. But it only works if you have a surface where it can reside so you can work on it as you please. I don't have that in my house, but want to think about how to make it possible because I received puzzles for Christmas. Happy holidays you two!!
Mitzi Lewison said…
Kudos to Peter on the Oyster shucking. I've ended up bloody on that task. We had a quiet Xmas. On Xmas eve (at 3:30 PM--don't think that really counts as eve) went out to a great seaside restaurant--Honu (Sea Turtle). On Xmas day had left overs of Mahi, shrimp louie salad, and that Hawaiian favorite--Pizza :-). Lahaina was nearly people-less on Xmas day so we walked from one end to another without worries of Covid. Happy in-between-the-holidays week.
KC said…
Did you eat the oysters? I'm wondering because of your vegetariansim. I'm all for exceptions, FYI.
LH said…
I do sometimes eat shellfish which makes me not a very good vegetarian. But not too often, so I'm going to stick to calling myself a vegetarian.

And those oysters were quite delicious.

Sorry, OYSTERS!

Popular Posts