The CAFE




My big question today is this:  Why do some places know how to make hot tea, while others do not? Today I am in a place and I ordered tea and they put a big honking tea bag into a cardboard cup and poured water over it.  There was enough tea in the bag for about 7 pots of tea.  So obviously this tea that I bought and am being forced to drink is not good.  I feel like walking behind the counter and making the tea.  The next person who walks in this place and orders tea is going to see me jump over the counter and take charge. I'm not lying.

Here's another, smaller, question.  When people are in a new job, and they're learning about how to do the job, why does the person who's teaching them how to do the job just spout off about a million different directions one right after the other?   No one learns by listening to a long monotonic blathering of facts and figures.  I feel like jumping over the counter with my notebook and pen and taking some sketch notes with the newbie about her different roles and responsibilities, as well as our various products and picayunish protocols.  I'd ask questions, give her a chance to try a few things with support.   Even though I'm not going to be a teacher for a year, I need to keep my skills sharp, so I just might leap into action soon if the blathering does not cease

Comments

KC said…
I guess the philosophy of this place is "fail on the job."

Popular Posts