Sunday, August 22, 2021

The Parades





 
Well there's always a movie to be watched with my good old Dad. Today it's Thin Grey Line with Tyrone Power and Maureen O'Hara.  This is not a good movie, but I'm learning a few things about West Point. I never had a big interest in West Point, but this movie presents WP cadets as caring, loyal and friendly.  The movie ends with a parade, which prompted my dad to tell me a few stories about parades he's been in.

In Osaka I was in a parade.  The war was over.  I went to Japan in 1946.  The Japanese were lined up watching our parade, and not saying a word. 

Then I had one in Tokyo with the first cavalry division.  That was a big day. It was Fourth of July.  I guess the parades were to flaunt our strength.  We weren't able to do much flaunting because we were all kids.  17, 18 year old kids.  I don't think the Japanese were that impressed.  They probably thought, "Geez, these are the guys who beat us?"

I was in a parade in Fort Bragg and because I was a shorter guy in the squadron, I had the extreme right hand position.  While we were going by the parade stand, I saluted.  I shouldn't have.  It was not in the drill for me, but anyway I saluted.  I was the only one, of 200 men in the line. I realized as I was doing it and pulled my hand down quickly, so...

3 comments:

Janet said...

Love reading these stories! Please say hello to Mr. H from us!

LH said...

I will Good Friend. He has a fun way of talking. It’s hard to say goodbye this time.

KC said...

There's a wealth of parade experience here!

The Retirement Saga

Retirement is like being on summer vacation for the rest of your life. You can mostly do whatever you want. Right now I’m watching a lot o...