The Hawk

Spending a lot of time ON HOLD these days, trying to work out trip details.


Morgenstern's Book Store. I'm at a table in the corner next to the plate glass window.  I have a cup of ti kwan tea.  

Right outside the window is a teenaged red oak.  Across the street is a Goodwill store.  A HAWK just flew into the tree.  Swooped down and landed on a low branch. Gal at table behind me who is here with a friend doing bible study announced, "Look at that owl."  

The whole cafe area was checking out the hawk.  I said pleasantly, "It's not an owl.  It's a hawk."

She declared, "It's a big old turkey buzzard!"

"No, it's a hawk," I said, but, again, in a pleasant voice. (This gal might know her epistle of James, but she needs to get a grip on her bird ID).

The hawk flew off toward the Goodwill and Bible Gal announced, "That's a hawk!" to the store.

Then this other gal declared, "Isn't Bloomington awesome?  We are all amazing for living in Bloomington.  We should all pat ourselves on the back because we made the choice to live in this amazing place." 

I reached back and gave myself a pat.  I appreciate the way this gal really celebrated the hawk experience. This is a solid example of someone experiencing ichigo ichie, the art of making the most of every moment, which I'm currently reading about.

Morgenstern's is bringing much joy to the people of our town. So I hope when Husbandman and I return from France that Morgenstern's will still be here, going strong.  Make this happen, please, Bloomingtonians.  FYI:  The barista says they'll start serving wine soon, probably this weekend. 



 

Comments

cb said…
Excellent bird ID story and I love the "on hold" drawing!
LH said…
Thanks, CB!

When I left the book store, the cheerful woman thanked me for sharing in the hawk viewing experience. So funny.

Popular Posts