The Missionaries



I walked to the Confluence Museum this morning to check out a temporary exhibit I hadn't seen yet.  From the Eyes of the Missionaries is the title of the exhibit. Come to find out, the French missionaries were great at wandering the world, converting people to Catholicism, and then shipping many of their artifacts back to France so everyone here could enjoy them. When I say ALL OVER THE WORLD, that's exactly what I mean --- Africa, New Zealand, North and South America, China, Vietnam, North Pole --- if there were non-Christians hanging around, these guys and gals tracked them down. 

I was disappointed with the exhibit.  I learned about a slew of missionaries --- where they traveled, what they collected --- but nothing about the people they "converted."  I wish they had added a few plaques or interviews with people who could give us info about how these missionaries impacted their communities.  

Poorly done, Musee de Confluence. I admit to having a strong bias against colonization, but I'm sorry, I give you a 1 on the Fist of 5.  


Comments

Janet said…
Tell it like it is! One out of five. How many museums do they have in Lyon? Seems to me you have been to hella museums there? Enjoying your reports of the place!
LH said…
Hey there, Dear! There are a ton of museums here, but yesterday was my 3rd visit to the Confluence. I like to walk down there and just see one exhibit and then move on down the road, after popping in for a quick visit to the dinosaur room.
Not sure where I'll end up when I leave the apartment, but it's always super pleasant. Wish you were here with us!
KC said…
This seems lacking. I concur with your rating!
Mitzi Lewison said…
It is sad that even today the colonized are voiceless.

Popular Posts