The Walking Stick


 Father's Day is coming up.  I'm thinking about buying my dad some hiking sticks so he can hike the Appalachian Trail this autumn.  

There are different schools of thoughts on hiking sticks.  Some people say that one stick is enough, but two sticks are essential if you're carrying a 70 pound pack and hiking over scree (slopes covered with loose rocks).

Many people even find one pole sufficient for fording rivers and streams. I'll probably just buy my dad one stick.

My dad hasn't expressed much interest in the trail, but I believe the hiking stick will provide motivation.  I'm going to visit my dad later this month.  I'm hoping to put away his walker and get him training around the kitchen with the walking stick. 

Dale "Graybeard" Sanders is currently the oldest person who has hiked the Appalachian Trail. When he was 82, he hiked the entire trail in seven months.  I'm out to see my dad beat Graybeard's records in age and time. He's 92 and I'll put money on Dad completing the trail in less than six months. 


Comments

Joy Heffernan said…
This is brilliant! I have some experience with tasty freeze dried dinners so I'll get him those
I think he'd really enjoy the Beef Stroganoff.
KC said…
Is there a special prize for just one stick hiking of the trail?
Julie said…
My money is on Dan. If you need advice on a good walking stick, I can point you to one. I've had bad ones and I've had good ones, and the good ones are good. ;-D
LH said…
So.... you have actually used a walking stick, Julie???

I do want some advice about getting a good one. Did you use one on Machu Pichu???
If Dad doesn't use it, maybe I will?

Popular Posts