The Moth

 


Nancer went away for a week and asked me to watch over a cecropia cocoon. Every day, following Nancer's directions,  I would squirt some water on to the cocoon.  Today I went to water the cocoon and a stunning cecropia moth startled the heck out of me.  I called Nancer who I knew to be recently home from her trip and she hurried right over.  I didn't get good photos of the cecropia, but I think Nancer will send me some this evening when she offers the moth its freedom. 

The cecropia moth, as you may know, is North America's largest moth.  Its wing span can be up to 7 inches.  Nancer's cecropia was absolutely stunning and I wish I could keep it with me forever.  The problem is that this beautiful moth only has a couple of weeks to live.  It will mate and then, if female, lay some eggs on some leaves.  This cecropia moth has no mouth, nor digestive system. It doesn't eat.  It has a job to do and it's going to get it done.  The female cecropia emits some pheromones to attract the males, who can detect her emissions from a mile away. 

Geez Louise.  These moths are fascinating. 

Comments

KC said…
I'm so happy that you've had this experience.

Popular Posts