The Story


I'm not enjoying my book club book this month.  It's Ministry of Utmost Happiness.  I'm on page 150 and it's been a mixed bag.  Some interesting characters doing this and that followed by long stretches of amusing and ironic comments about modern India.  Back and forth wigwagging along without much connecting and an elusive story arc.  

I've been thinking about liking versus not liking.  Could I just as easily like this book as dislike it?  Is my disliking a lack of effort and a lack of curiosity on my part?  Is it possible for me to switch gears somehow and just react to the book in a new way?  I wish I could because I feel a responsibility to finish a book club book. Also, whenever I do soldier on and finish a book that's not my favorite, I usually find some good things to appreciate about it.  

On the other hand, I have KC's new book sitting on my coffee table and I could just be devouring that right now.  So I guess I'll throw in the towel.  I hope Arundhati Roy doesn't read this blog, because I know she worked hard on this one.  

Time for a new story.

 

Comments

KC said…
I support you reading my book instead. I hope it's isn't as wishy washy for you.

Popular Posts