Dickens and the Dog


 

We finished up episode 8 of Little Dorrit today.  

My dad wasn't crazy about it, but I thought it was great.  

Little Dorrit was a selfless do gooder and kind friend.

Arthur Clennam was also a kind and helpful character. 

In the end, they acknowledge their great love for one another. 

My dad tells me, "You are an incurable romantic.  You would have done well on our corner back in Dorchester. We were all incurable romantics then." 

I think my dad is right.  I love love.  I like those tiny love stories in the NYT and I never miss a Modern Love column.

Let me tell you something I don't love.  Our good friend Rudy wants me to give him dog treats all day long.  I refuse to do this.  He runs back and forth from the treat cabinet to me, barking and grumbling.  Sometimes quite forcefully.  "This isn't how you treat a friend, Rudy," I've told him, but he doesn't get it.  He doesn't know that he lives in a debtor's prison, just like Little Dorrit.  Luckily for him, my brother Dan will be back from his trip soon and Rudy will be chowing down on treats 24/7.



Comments

Mitzi Lewison said…
Rudy, Rudy, Rudy! Get with it! :-)
LH said…
Rudy is a RASCAL with a capital R!
KC said…
Rudy and Ripper would likely get along quite well.
Julie said…
I'm of two minds about this Rudy situation. On one hand, you don't want to make the dog fat and miserable and have health problems. On the other hand, they lead such short lives, they should enjoy themselves however they can. My mom's dog would eat 24/7, too. We have to limit his joy every day. I couldn't have made it through Little Dorritt if I wasn't absolutely sure that she would find love in the end. I guess I'm a hopeless romantic as well.

Popular Posts