Uvalde



Steven Whyte "Comfort Women" Column of Strength




My writing class assignment this week was called 7 x 7 x 7.  For seven days, write seven lines,  one every hour for seven hours.  Then pick 2 of these to revise and share.  
I kept coming back to the shooting in Uvalde over this week.  Here are 2 sad poems about this tragedy. 


Uvalde 1

 

Penultimate Day, my teacher called today

sad about leaving my friends, happy for the pool

 

my teacher walked to lock my classroom door like in drills

my shooter shot her and he kept on shooting

 

now my grandmother can't see my gold trophy for personal best

and all summer my little brother will swim alone

 

 

 

 

Uvalde 2

 

my cousin called 911

but the police were already at her school

 

my cousin survived

but shrapnel got in her head

 

my cousin needs an operation 

but leaving the house scares her too much

 

my cousin hides when neighbors knock

but things will get back to normal soon

Comments

Julie said…
Unspeakable tragedy. These poems cut to the bone.
cb said…
Your poems are really good. Urgent and true.
KC said…
I am really sad about this, too. How could we not be?
Mitzi Lewison said…
Brought tears to my eyes again.
Sandy said…
Powerful poems…well done.

Popular Posts