The Aging



 I volunteered as a field trip chaperone for K-man's class yesterday.  30 Something and K-man's mom also volunteered. We ventured into the Academy of Sciences.  FYI: I brought my first grade class there for a field trip in 1987, so the Academy and I go way back.  

Talk about aging well.  This place has upped their game considerably.  We walked up through the rainforest, admired the moon jellies and poison frogs and clownfish and stingrays, got shaken and stirred in the earthquake exhibit and talked awhile with the penguins.

I supervised a group of 5 fun fifth grade girls.  It took a little while, but they warmed up to me as we moved through the museum.  I loved hearing them call me over to various exhibits with "Miss Lee!  Miss Lee!" I reacted with vibrant vim every time they pointed out a marvel with comments like "I can not believe I'm seeing this right now," and "My whole life I've wanted to see one of these and I guess today is my luckiest day" and "I'm going to remember this place for the rest of my life."   In other words, I got into it.

Field trips are a fun hassle, and maybe I'll do more of them.  I'm not sure, though, because I felt so beat when we got home.  I almost fell asleep during the Warriors game.  Will I have the stamina to return to 3rdLand? Only time will tell.  I hope, like the Academy, I will be able to up my game and get ready to make each day memorable and intriguing and pleasant. In any case, I vow to do my best and forget the rest. 

Comments

cb said…
You certainly made the best of that field trip. The Acadaemy of Sciences is pretty wonderful.
Thank you for the report.

How was the bus ride?
Janet said…
That sounds so magical!! Miss Lee!! So glad that field trips are ON again after a few years w/o them. It must have been fun to be there with K's class.
KC said…
I'll be honest and say I don't like field trips. I like my routine.
LH said…
CB.... Bus ride was not that bad. We were in a fancy chartered bus which kept the noise level down incredibly well. Every school bus should be outfitted like a fancy chartered bus.

Janet... Remember you went on a field trip with the first graders way back when. We took the muni to a ferry and sailed across to Marin for ten cents apiece. Kids were vomiting over the side of the boat.

KC... I also will be honest. They're not super fun because of the anxiety around potential mishap and the hours of time it takes to arrange all the stuff. So... if we had medical personnel accompanying us and a district field trip planner that took care of all the phone calls and forms.... field trips would be top notch.
Mitzi Lewison said…
The Academy field trip sounds perfect to me. You got to mess around with some fun kids at a cool place, but we're responsible for all the kids and the rigamarole of a field trip.

Popular Posts