The Movie Challenge

I saw True Grit over the weekend for the second time.  It was good and gritty. I took a bunch of photos as I watched, and now I have a set of great movie stills.  Not sure it's legal to create movie stills from the tv, but my parents did pay 4.99 to see the film, so maybe we're covered there.  I love this movie because I have strong memories of watching the first one when I was a kid with John Wayne, Glen Campbell and Kim Darby.  Scenes from the original pop in my head as I watch this latest version with Jeff and Matt and Hailee, so it's kind of like getting to watch 2 movies at exactly the same time.
I've been thinking about grit since seeing it last weekend.  I don't have grit, per se.  Today I was feeling kind of tired because I didn't sleep well and I had one of my weird animal dreams, so I just read a book on the iPad all day long.  The power kept decreasing.  27%.  16%.  8%. I kept thinking I should get up and plug in my device, but I didn't and then all our power went off at around 3% because of a tree mishap in town.  iPad shut off right after the outage, so I just spent a few hours on the couch thinking about how much it sucked that I couldn't read the book anymore.  I couldn't do much else, without the internets or air conditioning or television.  But a grittier gal would have probably made more adventurous choices.
Anyway, if you want to see this movie, you should.  But see the first one too, if you feel like it.

Comments

mm said…
I don't watch movies, but I think I would like to see True Grit. If it's anything like the book, it should be compelling.

Typhoid for Guatemala (travel doctor's instructions) although I'm not sure I really needed it after talking to others.
LH said…
Hey MM, Going to Guatemala shows you have grit! I went there once because my mom (who has grit in spades) was in the peace corps there.
KC said…
I've lost grit as I've gotten older. I really do want to see this movie! We always see things late because we don't go to the theater very much.

I am going to the theater next week, tho, for CARS 2!
LH said…
Cars 2 is not getting great reviews. Too bad. I miss seeing these little movies with kiddos. I've missed out on a few classics (like Cars I) because of the growing up of the offspringers.
Julie Anna said…
My brother and I always tried to out-grit each other. Maybe that's why I grew up with some grit, and it sort of became a way of life. I think I get grittier as I get older.
LH said…
Julie, There's no doubt in my mind that you get a 5 on the fist of 5 of grittiness.

Glad you getting caught up on leeway. Now we've gotta get caught up with an outing.

Popular Posts