SPRINGBREAK2024_Days7and8

 

 



The porcelain cup here belonged to Moise Camondo whose house became Musee Nissim.  Moise loved to collect art.  He has a little room off his dining room filled with four walls of porcelain china.  Every cup, plate, serving bowl has a beautiful bird on it. I want one of these bird cups a LOT.  Moise Camondo left his house and his collections to Paris to be made into a museum.  He wanted nothing touched, nothing added, nothing taken away.  The guy was a maniac about his stuff. I learned about him from a friend who read Edmund De Waal's book, Letters to Camondo.  de Waal is a ceramicist, so CB... you might want to look into these peeps. 

I stood in Marie Curie's lab and office today.  Both have been decontaminated so have no fear. Curie's work and life story is brilliant and fascinating.  I was sad to read that her husband got hit by a horse drawn carriage and died instantly, but though she was devastated, she carried on without him.  Picked up a 2nd Nobel Prize a few years later. Marie Curie is my hero at this point in time.

The trip has been sensational, but the walking has gotten a bit extreme.  Yesterday my legs hurt so much at the end of the day that I wanted to put them in a guillotine.  

All is well now. Off to dinner.

Comments

cb said…
Wow! What a sensational post. I really need one of those porcelain bird cups too. Edmund de Waal is a hero of mine but I haven't read this book of letters. Merci, Madame, pour tout!
Mitzi Lewison said…
The bird cups are awesome. Loved seeing pics on the Musee site. This reminds me of a couple of brothers in Sorrento that did the same thing. They left their house as a museum for the town with hoards of ceramics inside. Extreme walking--that sounds like an X-sport.
Julie said…
I’m not a huge collector of things, but I do love things with beautiful birds on them and would consider collecting one or two.

Popular Posts