The Milkweed




 Husbandman and I walked by the most colorful garden this evening---full of marigolds, zinnias and snapdragons.  We don't understand how this garden exists because when we have planted these flowers, the deer of our town eat them up on the daily.  I call our little side garden, "The Death Garden," because it's a place where plants go to spend their end of days. 

I've planted five plants this year, all natives that you could see on any street corner.  Natives aren't my favorites, but it's time to face facts.  Two have maintained their blooms --- the rudbeckia and the cone flower. 2 other deer resistant plants have been munched --- lobelia and butterfly weed.  Today I planted a couple of milkweed plants.  

My interest in citizen science has led to the planting of pollinator plants that will sustain butterflies and bees. 

Comments

cb said…
Good work, citizen scientist. We just planted some more milkweed. Fingers crossed.

And what a marvelous photo of two fabulous women!
Janet said…
I have no skills with plants. Zero. Not sure why, but it's a fact. Love this photo!

Popular Posts