Learning #19: Review of Free Your Mind

Stunning Bluebird.  Photo credit:  Joy Heffernan, my sister.
I was all pumped up for some learning tonight.  Husbandman and I went to see Free Your Mind, a documentary about using meditation to change your brain.  It wasn't that great, honestly.  Here's our review.

L:  Did you learn anything?
Hm:  No.
L:  I don't think I did either.  Which is pretty weird for a documentary about neuroscience.
H:  It wasn't a documentary about neuroscience.
L:  Okay, what was it about?
H: It was about meditation and breathing techniques being used to calm stress.
L:  Yes, and yet, they were making the claim that our brains can be changed through meditation techniques.
H:  And yet they presented zero evidence to that effect.
L:  Okay, true that.  Hmmmm... Any redeeming factors to this film?
H:  The little kid was cute.
L:  He was my favorite part.  Do you believe that meditation could help you be a better husband?
H:  I'm going to go do the recycling.
L:  Okay, I'll help you.  Basically, if people want to see this, they should.
H:  Do you ever say they shouldn't?  When it's a zero?  I think you should.  Even if they want to, they shouldn't go.  Like that movie about Google, The Internship. People shouldn't see it.
L:  This is where my review philosophy differs from yours.  I believe in freedom.
H:  What are you a Tea Party member?
L:  Okay, let's just go do the recycling and leave it at that.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can you please keep up on these reviews while you are in Israel? If not, please add this format in whenever you can. I love this kind of banter, and I will miss it so next year.
N
mm said…
The picture is amazing... kudos to your sis.
Anonymous said…
omg. Hysterical!! I don't believe I'll be seeing that movie.
jw
Sarah Gardner said…
This made me laugh. That is all. :)

Popular Posts