Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Culture


I've been doling out apologies like they're going out of style lately. My friend G was incredulous about how much apologizing I'm doing. He says he's been noticing too many people living in a culture of apology. I get his point, but when I inconvenience someone, or hurt their feelings, I work up a pretty good apology. Sometimes I even buy the person a gift or two. G asked if I was apologizing so much because I had a need for people to like me. I'm sorry to report that the answer to that question is a resounding yes. Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Undomestic said...

I do the same thing. And I say Thank You a lot, when I really shouldn't. Go figure.

Anonymous said...

i share this need, and i totally get it.

i apologize a lot, too, even to the bitchy german teacher.

Anonymous said...

it all evens out, I think. I probably don't apoligize enough. sorry.
Bob

LH said...

a good start bob, but i'm afraid i'm going to have to ask you to pull your weight in the culture of apology in future.

c and kc, we need to pull back and let bob step up to the plate.

Julie Anna said...

I think I apologize a fairly normal amount...not too much, not too little. To be honest, sometimes I don't give a rat's ass if people like me or not--they either do or they don't. (ACK! Maybe this is why I have fewer friends than you, my friend!) I do say thank you a lot. I don't know if you can overuse a genuine Thank you. My son is pulling more than his share of the weight by being overly apologetic most of the time, which makes me a little crazy. I like you tremendously, dear heart, with or without apologies.

LH said...

thanks ms. j, i won't make any apologies for how crazy i am about you good friend.

The Retirement Saga

Retirement is like being on summer vacation for the rest of your life. You can mostly do whatever you want. Right now I’m watching a lot o...