The Blow Up


 

Halloween on a Tuesday should be a federal crime. 3rdLand experienced a significant decrease in learning levels for 5 days straight. By the time the bell rang for dismissal each day, I felt wrung out like an old kitchen sponge. My energy reserves were so depleted I worried that I might not be able to drive the mile back to my house. 

 I like Halloween as a citizen, but as a teacher I do not care for it. Because of this year's unfortunate timing, my fatigue built up and by Friday I had a sore throat.  On Saturday I couldn't move off the sofa.  As I languished, I caught up on Golden Bachelor and watched movies.  Flora and Son was good.  Appropriate Behavior even better.  Midnight Run and Blue Jay are older classics.  See any of these films if you want to.

Most 3rdLanders had a plethora of fun stories, but come to find out, the kids with the blow up costumes had some sadness.  A dinosaur inflatable worn by one third lander deflated halfway through trick or treating.  He carried on in his own attire, a pain to explain to the candy givers. Another 3rdlander skipped Halloween altogether when his Sponge Bob inflatable went bust 20 minutes before T-or-T departure time.  His parent dashed back to the shop but was denied an exchange. Annoyed beyond all get out, this kid opted for staying home. As we all know, some losses are so devastating that recovery is impossible. You may want to boycott that store next year.  At the very least, save all packaging and receipts.  Overall, I do not recommend the blow up costumes. Too much heartache.

On Wednesday a kid came to school wearing a Xmas sweatshirt. Charlie Brown. Tiny Piano. Pathetic tree with red ornament. That one sweatshirt led to an extended, wild mashup of Halloween recollection with fervent Christmas plans. 

We're in holiday hoedown mode and I need to figure out how to stay healthy. It's not going to be a super season of holiday cheer if I end up in a coffin by New Year's.


   

Comments

cb said…
I have never heard of or seen a blow up costume. The kids in our neighborhood are old school, I guess. Hope you have recovered.
next year you should tell the thirdlanders about your daughter's experience having her candy stolen out of her hands in bloomington's own hyde park! that will put the fear of g*d in them.
LH said…
Did you hand out a lot of candy, CB????

And Indiana Rock... I did tell them about that fateful night! They were outraged.
KC said…
One year, my dumb boss decided to OBSERVE ME TEACHING on HALLOWEEN when a kid was wearing a blow-up dinosaur. I had to ask him to deflate a little so he could frickin write.

Popular Posts