The Horror


Every month or so we have a cheerful breakfast with coworkers at the compound. I saunter in jauntily this morning, zoom in on my favorite dish and scoop up a huge portion. I don’t feel too much guilt about taking more than my share because I’ve had a bad week. I'm on the last bite when I realize that something is in my mouth that doesn't belong there. Please don't let this be what I think it is,” I scream silently, as I subtly reach up with my napkin to remove the object from my mouth. Sadly, the object turns out to be a nail clipping of some kind. I'm thinking toe, but it could have come from a large human thumb just as easily. Ugh.

Comments

Anonymous said…
GROSS!!!!!!!! At least it wasn't the whole finger! Stay away from those breakfasts! And, drink more wine!
N
LH said…
Yes, very thankful, n, that it wasn't the whole finger. but how sad that i can't look forward to my favorite dish at the faculty breakfasts anymore.
Anonymous said…
I don't think I can look forward to any breakfast anymore. Wine it is!!!
Anonymous said…
It could have been much worse. It could have been MEAT!
LH said…
Hey Ms. Joy. I'll think of that nail at every faculty breakfast in the future. For the rest of my life. I know I won't be able to let it go.
Anon, meat would have probably have been the same grossness. This favorite dish of mine was one of the few veggie things that are brought to the breakfasts, so double drat for that. I'll be sticking to the fruit tray i guess.
Julie Anna said…
Aw gawd, I hate when that happens. Like you, it would taint me forever on that particular dish. I could not possibly eat it without thinking of the nail. One time when I was a kid, I found several long hairs at the bottom of my bowl of Cheerios. Even though they were probably MY OWN hairs, the thought of the hairs put me off Cheerios for years. And here I am STILL thinking about the hairs THIRTY-FIVE YEARS LATER, and so maybe I'm off Cheerios for life.
LH said…
i saw a small hair on my plate at the restaurant we went to the other afternoon julie. but i just didn't feel like thinking about the contamination of my food sources at that moment in time. UCK

Popular Posts