Monday, August 17, 2026

The Loss

August 10

To: K. Kenyon

From T. French

Dear Ms. Kenyon,

Thank you for your mostly kind words about In the Woods.  You say it's not nearly as strong as some others I've written, but it was my first novel and I'm not only proud of it, but also gratified that 3 million plus copies have been sold.  

I'm sorry to hear that you were overly frustrated by the book's ambiguous ending. And while I sympathize with your loss of an entire day to reading, I am unclear how the novel can be blamed.  Your garden certainly did need water during this hot spell but it was your choice to stay in pajamas reading on the sofa. I also reject any responsibility for the additional hours you spent on Reddit arguing about the confusing ending with other readers.  

Congratulations on your retirement.  There are many websites about how to develop routines in this phase of life that you may find helpful.  Or, why not embrace your new freedom and make MEMENTO MORI your mantra? 

You mentioned that you were waiting for The Keeper to come out in paperback. I'm sending you a copy as a retirement gift. I hope you enjoy it.  Let's stay in touch. 

Sincerely,

Tana French




No comments:

The Loss

August 10 To: K. Kenyon From T. French Dear Ms. Kenyon, Thank you for your mostly kind words about In the Woods .  You say it's not near...