The Snowy Day


 We used to have snow days but now we have e-Learning Days.  Today was our first E-Learning Day of the year. 

I was nervous last night because so much of our technology can and does go wrong.   This morning I hopped on TEAMS early to practice using the site before our 9am start time.  Three 3rdLanders were there already. One had been waiting since 8.  I told them to talk amongst themselves while I poured myself another cup of coffee.

The morning was busy.  I had 3 class meetings scheduled, with a list of online work scheduled for them to complete independently.  I emphasized that I was flexible about e-learning.   While I stopped short of saying, "Do not come to the class meetings," I strongly encouraged the kids to relax about meetings if they could not attend. No big deal at all, I told them. All showed up and several stayed with me during independent work time.  

The district wanted me to have "office hours" at the end of the day, so I scheduled another meeting from 2 to 3, reminding the kids, again, that office hours were completely optional.  3 showed up.  They didn't need help with their work, but they were bored, and wanted to talk.  

There was a sweetness to the e-learning day, but I miss the snow days of yore, where I stayed in jammies and watched reality tv shows like wife swap all day long.  In short, it's time to bring back the snow days.  

Comments

cb said…
I didn't know that snow days had ceased to exist. That's a shame. Unexpected moments of grace are nice.

But I like the fact that 3 kids showed up to your office hours just to talk. Very sweet, indeed.
Joy Heffernan said…
I feel that if there is snow there should be "Snow Days".

Since you and I went to school in Miami and San Francisco we didn't have the luxury of snow days as kids. You my darling Sister should enjoy them now.

Popular Posts