The Story of the Month

New Water Tower in Dana, Indiana
photo credit:  SL, former Dana resident


 Hey Friends,

Remember when I told you about my haiku dilemma in a post from a few weeks ago?  If you stopped reading this blog ages ago because the blogger has been slacking for awhile now, you might want to review the real life story here.

I never told you this, but I ended up getting the haiku.  I have a feeling my email may have prompted some action because the poem appeared 5 days after my email was sent.  Take away:  Write an email if something doesn't sit right with you.

I wrote a story based on this event and if you want to read it, go ahead.  It's right here.

Poetry on Demand

Lee Heffernan

 

Dear Bundunton Writer's Guild,

 

I'm emailing because of my unsatisfactory experience with your Poetry on Demand booth at last week's art fair.  A first time visitor to the poetry on demand experience, I requested a haiku from a "poet" named Bill. I donated ten dollars.  Because Bill allegedly had " a lot of poems in his queue," he told me to return to the booth later and my haiku would be ready. 

 

When I returned 35 minutes later, Bill asked for my home address as he had not yet written my haiku. I had some reservations about sharing this information, but I wrote down my address and Bill said I would receive my haiku in 2 to 3 days.  It's now been one week and I've received no haiku in the mail.  How long do you think it would take a person who works in a Poetry on Demand booth to write one haiku?  

 

Maeve Evans-Collier

 

*****

 

Dear Ms. Evans,

 

We are sorry to hear about this haiku hassle.  While we sponsor the Poetry on Demand booth, our members do not staff the event.  Bill was a volunteer from Mooresville who drove in with his own typewriter to work the booth.  We have no address for him.  We are happy to offer you this haiku as a replacement: 

 

Maeve Evans-Collier

waits for her missing haiku

oh where could it be

 

Thank you for the donation and WRITE ON!

 

Bundunton Writer's Guild

 

*****

 

Dear Bundunton Writer's Guild,

 

Thank you for your response to my email.  I'm sorry to tell you, however, that I take offense at your haiku's flippant tone. It's beyond me why you would treat a patron with such disdain.

 

Someone in your organization must have access to Bill's email address.  Please forward this information to me without delay.  

 

Maeve Collier Evans

requests the address of Bill

and her ten dollars

 

 

*****

 

 

Dear Maeve,

 

We are sorry that you misunderstood our haiku, but we refuse to apologize for creative expression.  We are happy to tell you, however, that today is your lucky day.  We've tracked down Bill's email address! (see below) 

 

We will not be returning your donation as we feel we've provided a haiku written specifically for you.  Here's another! 2 for the price of one!

 

No refunds for Maeve (you)

but we understand your plight

good luck with your quest

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

*****

Dear Bill,

 

My name is Maeve Collier Evans.  The Bundonton Writer's Guild gave me your email address. I met you recently at their Poetry on Demand booth at the Bundonton Arts Fair. If you recall, I donated ten dollars for a haiku.  After waiting for 35 minutes, I was disappointed to discover that my poem would be mailed to me. What does poetry on demand actually mean, I wonder? It has now been over a week. Could you please send my haiku at once to my address, which I am now supplying for the second time?

 

Ten dollar haiku

poetry not on demand

unbelievable

 

*****

 

Dear Maeve,

 

Thank you for reaching out. I don't want to make excuses for myself, but, long story short, my cat was hit by a car on Sunday evening. I found Smoky dead in the street when I got home from the arts fair.

 

After burying Smoky in the backyard, I'll be honest, my creative juices were tapped.  I had 18 poems to send out to art fair donors and I just didn't have it in me, Maeve. Come to find out, you are the only person who has contacted me about the missing poems.  You obviously live your life with integrity and expect others to do the same. I'm sorry I let you down.

 

Please accept my apologies.  I'm sending your belated haiku at last. I wrote it this morning.  Thank you for inspiring me to find my path back to my typewriter. 

 

your quest for haiku

spurred my creativity  

pushing through dark days

 

Your new friend, (I hope)

 

Bill

 

 

*****

 

 

 

Dear Bill, 

 

I feel horrible about making a fuss about the haiku, considering the circumstances. Please accept this haiku, written by me, with sincere condolences.

 

sorry for your loss

every day is so precious

we just never know

 

Let's stay in touch, Bill.  I suspect that poetry has brought us together for a reason.  I would love to get together to share stories about our precious pets. I lost my dog Charlie just last year.

 

Yours,

 

Maeve

Comments

Popular Posts