The Clicks

Saw a movie on campus last week called Rogue Agent. It's about a man.  Past that I can't tell you much without spoiling. But you should see it if you want.  I think it's streaming somewhere.  V. good.

Today I opened my NYT online and saw a link to an article about Elizabeth Strout.  My finger hovered over the headline, in the clicking position, but I hesitated.  I had this horrible feeling that I might read something in the article that would make me like Elizabeth Strout less than I do and I just couldn't handle that. Later, still thinking about Elizabeth Strout, I changed my mind, figuring that I had a 50/50 chance of finding out something that would make me like her even more than I currently do.  I clicked and read about her cool writing life.  She writes all the time.  She also plays piano.  She lives in Maine.  Her husband seems like a nice enough guy. So, I found out that I like her exactly the same amount after reading the article.  In short, nothing ventured nothing gained.  Or, more accurately---something ventured, nothing lost or gained.

We spent a long time waiting for lattes this afternoon.  We ordered them "for here," and yet we didn't get our drinks in the shop's beautiful orange cups and saucers, just paper cups with plastic lids. That made me wonder where we went wrong in the ordering process. (I know.... don't blame the victim). Also, we had to wait longer than I would have preferred.  While waiting I wrote this haiku:

local coffee shop

you thank us for our patience

we want coffee now

 

 

Comments

cb said…
I wish you could have enjoyed your coffee in the orange cups.
Janet said…
I read that piece about Elizabeth S. too. That said, I have not read any of her books, but I suspect you have. I like that she is getting more active at 66 - a book a year is it? 66 is getting on the older side, but we all have a different rate of speed?
Mitzi Lewison said…
Your writing puts a smile on my face!!!

Popular Posts