The Proxy

20 Something went on a boat this week.  For days after her boat trip, she experienced a rocking disequilibrium, as if she were still on the boat.  She called me to discuss the situation.  I stayed surprisingly calm while insisting that she get to a doctor STAT. While she was struggling to get medical attention, I began a few days of intensive research which involved reading as well as interviewing a boating friend.

Come to find out, there's a syndrome called "Mal de Debarquement" that happens to people after a flight or a boat trip.  75% of professional sailors have experienced MdDS.  My boating friend had MdDS for 3 weeks after a cruise once.  Luckily, 20 Something only had the debilitating syndrome for 2.5 days. She's fine now.  I was so nervous that she was going to have Mal de Debarquement Syndrome for 2 or 3 years because that has been known to happen and honestly, we've been on a bit of an unlucky streak around here lately.   I assumed her condition indicated some type of inner ear infection, but that's not so.  What happens with MdDS is your brain adapts to the rollicking waves and can't re-adapt when you're back on land.  You would think brains could do better.  Our brains really let us down when it comes to MdDS.

It is up to the person who has suffered with MdDS to determine if going on a boat again is worth the risk.  Obviously, I hope 20 Something decides to forego boats forever.  I've been somewhat stressed over the past few days and I'd prefer not to experience MdDS-by-Proxy ever again.  I suggest everyone stop going on boats because why invite trouble?

Comments

Joy Heffernan said…
She can't skip boats forever. I must take her sailing to see some dolphins. Paula and I both get a moving sensation when we are back on land after a few days on the water. It usually doesn't last very long for either of us. It is kind of hard to get your "land legs" back. Just stare off into the horizon and don't blink! Let's go sailing Roz!
LH said…
Okay! I had a feeling you might have a unique perspective about MdDS! LOVE 2 U and PAULA!
Anonymous said…
I think I have this syndrome these days and I haven't been on a boat as of late. I call them "whooshes" and I have to grab a hold of something to steady myself.
jw
mm said…
Learning new stuff...

Popular Posts