Monday, January 19, 2015

The Independent Film Review: Battered Bastards of Baseball


We watched an independent film about baseball this weekend.  It's a documentary about the Portland Mavericks and their owner, Bing Russell.  Bing Russell was Kurt Russell's dad.  I had a crush on Kurt Russell when I was a young girl because he was in a lot of Disney movies.

Me:  Husbandman, what did you think of the film?
Hm:  I enjoyed it.  It really showed one person's love for the game of baseball and revealed the heavy handedness of major league baseball.
Me:  Were you aware of the Mavericks when they were playing?
Hm:  No.
Me:  Do you think the players were actually good athletes?
Hm:  Yeah.  Certainly, Jim Bouten was.  They had to have been to have won as many games as they did.
Me:  The film kind of showed them as being clownish, using tricks or distractions to win.
Hm:  I don't agree.  I didn't see instances of that.  They were clowning around with each other in the locker room.
Me:  Well, maybe pay better attention next time when you watch a film.
Hm:  Does that include waking you up in the middle?
Me:  Fist of 5?
Hm:  I'm going to give it a 4.
Me:  I'll give it a 5.  I used to have a crush on Kurt Russell when I was a kid because he was in so many Disney movies. His dad was an interesting guy. Go Bing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great movie. Thanks for reviewing it!
jw

KC said...

Have you seen Kurt Russell in Miracle? I loved him in that.

The Retirement Saga

Retirement is like being on summer vacation for the rest of your life. You can mostly do whatever you want. Right now I’m watching a lot o...