B

For the past two days I've BEEN learning about BOYS town BEHAVIOR management model.  We need some help in the BEHAVIOR department at artful school, so I've BEEN extremely open minded. BUT I've never BEEN a great one for following scripts, so I I'm struggling a BIT.  Tonight #1 son and Husbandman and I sat outside at a BEAUTIFUL eatery, named after a BIRD.  I tried my hand at effective praise with #1 Son.  "#1," I said, "I like how you're talking with us right now.  You are making eye contact and sitting nicely in your chair.  When you participate in our dinner conversation, we all have a more enjoyable time together.  Here's a special pat on the BACK for you, #1!"
"This feels pretty manipulative," #1 responded.
"True that, BUDDY, True that," I responded.  BUT who knows?  I'll try anything.  That's what my job's all about right now.

Comments

mm said…
I appreciate his reaction!!
kc said…
Hilar.

I will also try anything. I probably say manipulative stuff like this, too.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the kudos re Screened.

D/
Anonymous said…
Smart Boy.
jw
StreibProjects said…
I need a cheat sheet of reasons......
Goodwoman said…
It's only manipulative if they get it!
jdoc said…
Love this story!
LH said…
I practiced a little bit on 20 something daughter the other night. "You sure are doing a good job sitting up and giving eye contact during our conversation, 20 Something. That makes everyone feel connected, so thanks!"
Praise-description-reason.

On it.

Popular Posts