The Cast



I have been knitting a scarf for over 2 years. I know one stitch and I know it well. I brought the scarf to school because an amazing teacher I know knits with her students and I wanted to emulate that teacher. She told me that the kids just teach one another and it’s a lot of fun. During the first week of school I brought the homeroom out for extra recess and I did some knitting while they frolicked, which is probably not a good idea in terms of liability issues, but I didn’t think of that until later. A sixer told me she would bring in her knitting too and I urged her to do so. Dreams of the grand knitting circle we would soon have filled me with glee. We decided to set up shop at a picnic table at recess on Thursdays. Two Thursdays ago, I worked on my scarf and the sixer sat next to me glumly because she couldn’t remember how to cast on. I told her I could not cast on and that I only knew one stitch, but I would ask Teen Daughter to cast on for her and return her knitting the next day. I heard from some other kids that they might want to learn to knit, so I went to Hobby Lobby and bought needles and yarn for six knitters. Teen Daughter started off a few rows on each set of needles. 8 girls showed up for the knitting session on Thursday. Two said they knew how to knit, but they were total liars. And the rest could not learn worth a damn. After 20 minutes of me trying to help, recess was over and I had a tote bag of bare needles that need recasting. I didn’t get to knit at all, so that was a bit of a drag. As the kids filtered in after recess, many told me they plan to come in next Thursday. I told them that I suck at teaching knitting, but they’ll probably show up anyway. I have a habit of thinking I can do things I can’t. I’m curious about this knitting predicament. Maybe my dream of the knitting classroom will come true if I just keep trying. And teen daughter keeps recasting.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You keep going girl.

You can do it.

I teach knitting to my third grade boys. They are not very good, but they love it.

The first year I learned how to cast on, but I forgot. I read about it in a book, but still did not do it worth a crap. A friend gave me a Sunday football lesson and now I can do it like a pro. It is the coolest thing to teach kids. Some of my rough and tumble boys, love the repetition of the work.

Have you asked parents if they know how to knit? We had some parents help last year. We do it first thing in the morning so parents can help get them started. Then when recess starts, I have enough knowledge to keep them going.

Hope you are well. Thanks for cheering up my Friday night.

Jeff
hr said…
Just let me say that crocheting is much easier! Most of my kids can only make chains, but they still love it. On any given day you can find me with all manner of newly crocheted accessories made from these chains -- necklaces, belts, bracelets, anklets, hair ties etc. Quite fashionable. Also, finger knitting is quite popular.

My agenda is now written in two colors each day in order to symbolize appropriate times for their handicraft.

I got some knitting needles in a lot of supplies I bought on ebay, but am not that brave yet.
Undomestic said…
Please move here and be my son's teacher!!!!
LH said…
Hey Ms. Cari, and thanks for your kind words. It would be my great pleasure to teach those cute kiddos of yours. But can you send em down my way?
J and H, I'm going in again this week and I'll try again. Crochet's on the back burner.
thanks for the suggestions dearhearts.
Julie Anna said…
Hey girlfriend, I am a firm believer that people should learn to knit and crochet as kids. My dad taught me to knit (we were a crafty family) and an older lady up the street taught me to crochet when I was 8 or 9. It's something you can do the rest of your life. I've made many lumpy scarves and uneven baby blankets as gifts. I'm not an expert, but I'm not totally awful at it, and I would be glad to take a lunch hour, or whatever time you do it, and come help your kids with knitting or crocheting if you would like help. I used to know how to crochet a cute and pretty quick little hair thingee that the 6xers might like...if I can remember how.
LH said…
DEAR GOD! This would be so awesome.
Thursdays from 12:40 to 1:10, we be knitting. any time. ever!
merci beaucoup craftpal!

Popular Posts